Rock Therrien is a self-taught painter. Born in Armargh, Bellechasse County, a small picturesque village south of Quebec City, he spent his early childhood in the United States. Today, it is in Morin-Heigths, in the heart of the Laurentides region, that Therrien has established its workshops. From his environment, his many travels and music, he draws his ideas. The daily life also offers him a great source of inspiration for his art.
Young, Rock is already distinguished from other students in the arts by winning several drawing contests. Artist self-taught, Rock Therrien painted for nearly twenty years. Today he devotes himself mainly to the production of paintings depicting characters with rounded shapes in amusing and crazy situations and in which it is often possible to recognize oneself.
For each painting, Rock Therrien conceives a staging which he sketches beforehand on the canvas. Subsequently, he worked the material and the colors from a pictorial technique that he developed over time. The characters he invents evolve in another era and, to reinforce the idea of time already spent, the artist creates a wear effect by sandblasting his colorful and highly textured surfaces. Lovers of curves, he engraved circular patterns that adorned with signs and decorated with touches of color. Each painting is made from many superimposed pictorial layers. Rock likes to give a glimpse of his collage work, his sketches at the mine and even his applications of cement. It is for him a way of revealing certain stages of the construction of his painting.
He draws inspiration from fragments of his life, music and his many travels. His works are conceived as messages to be decoded and for him, each painting tells his own story. One can approach his work in several ways, because it contains clues that one discovers as one travels the web. At first, Rock tries to capture the attention of the viewer through the subject of his work and his palette of colors. Then he tries to make him smile by adding a humorous touch that completes the scene. He explains that all these elements inspire him and motivate him to push his limits constantly.
"Painting never appeared to me as obvious, but when it caught you, it pushes you to go further and get into matter. "
Among the numerous solo and group exhibitions that Therrien has presented during her career, we will mention "A Piece of Canada in Dubai" which was presented in September 2013 at the Opera Gallery in Dubai.
- Visual art spokesperson for La nuit des toiles, Sainte Adèle, Québec Canada 2014
- Toronto International Art Fair, Toronto, Canada 2012
- Toronto International Art Fair, Toronto, Canada 2010
- Toronto International Art Fair, Toronto, Canada 2009
- Symposium Les arts du village, Montreal, Canada 2003
- Champlain wines, Champlain Bistro
- Collart collection
- Desmarais Power Corporation
- Sugar shack at the foot of a pig (Martin Picard)
- Hopital Saint Justine
- Fondation Marcelle and Jean Coutu
- The Montreal Gazette
- Québec Preschool Education Association, program of the 30th annual convention 2010
- Joe record, CD cover 2009
- George Gancheft Realization of a Bronze 5 Feet of Height (Go for it!) 2012
- Illustration for the Nuit des caniles Saint-Adele
- CHALIFOUR, Annick, Rock Therrien Simply happiness, L'express, April 2012
- BÉDARD, Louise-Marie, Rock Therrien Grands Formats, Course, volume 15, number 1, spring 2010, p. 80 to 82
- LAVIGNE, Anne-Marie, Rock Therrien Rockambolesque, Course, volume 13, number 2, autumn
- 2007, p.84-85
- ROUSSEAU, Marie-Josée, Wink of the Everyday, Parcours, volume 10, number 3, autumn 2004, p. 116
- Nathalie Paquin, The Rocking Beasts of Rock Therrien unveiled at the Galerie Saint-Dizier, Route, number 80 May-June 2014
- Article in the MODERN TIMES MAGAZINE of SEOUL July 2014
- CARON, Cédérick, Rock Therrien exhibits in China, Le Mirabel, July 31, 2009
- Radio interview with CBC on Humor and Paradox, 2005
- TV Reportage at Radio-Québec on the exhibition Humor and Paradox, 2005
- Trace magazine on the exhibition Rockambolesque, 2011
- TV Reportage at Radio-Canada on the exhibition Le bonheur facile, 2012
- Radio interview with Radio-Canada with lyne Boily (open field) on the exhibitions Le bonheur facile 2012
- TV Reportage at Radio Canada on the exhibition with JOANNE CORNO and SYLVAIN TREMBLAY (A Dubai Opera Gallery, Dubai Opera Gallery, Water) 2013